Before joining SBA in 2019 after her love for big cities finally beat her passion for the ocean (albeit by a narrow margin), Sonya lived on Canada’s Wet Coast, and then in Halifax while completing her law degree.
This renaissance woman thrives on novelty and variety, in life, and at work. At work, her energy, agility and grit have allowed her to quickly develop a diverse litigation practice, encompassing everything from tort MVA and slip-and-fall, to accident benefits, fraud, and property damage claims, and coverage disputes.
Sonya is both a joint founder of SBA’s Bachelor/Bachelorette betting pool, and a lover of dark, intelligent family dramas a la Succession, Ozark and The Sopranos, as well as Tarantino movies.
As a child, when asked what she wanted to do when she grew up, her response was “baskerina” (presumably some sort of hybrid professional dancer and basketball player). Clearly, this dream did not come to fruition, but its spirit lives on, as Sonya is as happy attending a Raptor’s game as she is a ballet.
Extra weird facts:
- I am not Hungarian or Serbian, nor do I have friends in either country, but I have been to both three times
- I am a big St. Patrick fan, due to severe ophidiophobia, but after working in Irish bars for six years, I refuse to celebrate his day
- I work in MVA law but have never had my full driver’s license
- I still miss McDonald’s pizzas
- I have strict rules about permissible salad ingredient combinations
- If I could have more than one career, in addition to being a lawyer I’d be a fashion or interior designer and/or a linguist
If forced to choose, I would have to say my primary practice areas are accident benefits and fraud.